Quirky Boots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ShoutBox

May Sponsor
Guest Designer

Craft Tutorial

Altered Pen Pot

Flower Ribbon

Cuttlebug Review by Deanne

You are not connected. Please login or register

No more car

+2
Fe-Fe
wulfcwen
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1No more car Empty No more car Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:01 am

wulfcwen

wulfcwen

Oh well the car goes back on Monday, we have a car from Motability so we can be mobile but it goes back on Monday. Hubby is not happy driving so it is pointless having a car. We will get the DLA instead and will use it for taxi fares to the hospital etc. We can get around on the bus as well so it is not too bad. Not as convenient as a car but we will still be fairly mobile.
It is a shame but if he is not happy it is silly to keep it. We could have a designated driver but that would mean asking my son to do it and he doesn't live close enough to be on hand like that. So we will be carless we will miss it a lot as it is so nice to be able to say lets go out even if it only to the garden centre.
I don't drive and with my problems would not be allowed to either, dizzy spells and driving are not a good combo.

2No more car Empty Re: No more car Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:54 am

Fe-Fe

Fe-Fe

Sorry to hear that Paula. Having a car is very handy but as you say if your husband is not happy driving it then there's not much point keeping it. Public transport is not so bad if you have frequent running buses. It's when there is only 1 an hour that it makes it more difficult. Smile

http://fe-fesworld.blogspot.com/

3No more car Empty Re: No more car Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:10 am

Quirky Boots

Quirky Boots
Admin

bless you both xx

http://deezkatz.blogspot.com

4No more car Empty Re: No more car Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:26 am

Gez

Gez

Thinking of you both Paula. I miss not having my own transport & hubby doesn't drive but you do find ways around things. Good Luck.xx

http://gezzybscraftybits.blogspot.com/

5No more car Empty Re: No more car Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:33 am

cazzy

cazzy

In a way I expect it is one worry off your mind even if it does mean it is not so easy to get around but I hope you do manage. My brother drives a motobility car sometimes as he is designated driver for a friend's disabled son. He recently had to rely on it when his suffered major damage from potholes and needed a new axle.

MIL had FILs car for years, didn't pay tax, he couldn't drive it after his stroke which was 3 months after he bought the car new, so there was this really old car sitting rusting away in the end (as the rented garages were sold to build houses) and it had about 5000 miles on the clock. My hubby used to have it for a week sometimes just to run it occasionally and if they wanted taking somewhere they felt it gave them independance but one of us had to get there and drive it so it didn't really, but FIL's memory went with the stroke so it kept him happy seeing it outside, she eventually practically gave it away some time after he died.

http://cazzytime.blogspot.com

6No more car Empty Re: No more car Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:52 am

wulfcwen

wulfcwen

That is so so sad Cazzy what a shame the wife got so little for the car in the end.
The motability scheme is very good and the cars are really nice but if it is sitting there more than it is being used it really is not worth it. It will be awkward at times without the car but you find ways to get around things. Busses, taxis and even trains are all available you can even get coaches to places further out. So not all is lost it just means working out how to do the things you want to do.
Shopping is the biggy but even that is do-able. Go to Iceleand and do at least £25 and they deliver the shopping for you for free. Then we can go to Waitrose and get the other bits and the market will supply our fruit and veg then taxi home. Sadly Sainsbury's moved so it is further out, not impossible to get to so we may experiment one week and see how it works out.
Taxi to the hospital in August and home again when I have had the op and can go home. Thank goodness we live in a town with everything so near by.
By Christmas we will be experts LOL

7No more car Empty Re: No more car Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:06 am

cazzy

cazzy

It might be better to get Sainsburys online Paula, not sure what they charge now but much easier. Do you have a Tesco? They charge less at the beginning of the week, and you can use the club card vouchers to get twice as much value when you shop online. I think they should issue you with free delivery from supermarkets vouchers too.

I once bought an ex Motobility car, it was a white Fiesta, nice little car but the garage said they didn't have time to get the tax, so gave me the cash to go get it in the small town near the garage, I did but found I couldn't get the tax until the car was re-registered as able bodied and so I had to ring work to say I would be late back, and drive another 30 miles to the DVLC which was closing the week after so could have been worse, re-reg and buy the tax and I was so worried I would get stopped for no tax! I bet that garage did that to people all the time if like me they didn't know about it, as all they sold was ex motobility cars.

http://cazzytime.blogspot.com

8No more car Empty Re: No more car Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:54 pm

Dee

Dee

Sorry to hear of the car having to go, but as you say, you'll be able to get around things with a bit of forward planning. Can you not get transport from your surgery to take you for hospital appointments, I feel sure they can arrange them........ be worth asking. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum